Saturday, July 16, 2016

Settling In

The horses seem to finally be settling in to this new routine of their matriarch being on stall rest.  I think it helped that I removed the mash bucket from Lostine's stall.  Every horse was misbehaving because every horse wanted whatever was in that bucket that Lostine was rejecting.  I was keeping their stall gates locked with bicycle chains to prevent any further funny business.

Last night I decided to let Lostine out to roam and sleep on the soft sand in the arena while the other horses stayed locked in their stalls.  I figured there would be a lot of banging and water trough kicking as a form of protest, but I didn't hear anything.  My neighbor was up earlier than me, so perhaps he heard something.  I was so exhausted that I slept through it.

In the morning, I could tell that Lostine did lie down to sleep, which made me happy, because a lot of times horses with arthritis, hip or leg injuries won't lay down because they are afraid that they won't be able to get back up.  I can relate.  However, by laying down, she tore the scab off her hip and got sand in the wound, so I had to break out the cleaning bucket, dress the wound, and hike all the way back to the house to retrieve the Swat that I forgot because I went out a different door from where I had it posted to try to catch my attention.

The vet said I could let her out as long as I don't let any other horse out with her.  She mainly does not want the other horses to bully her or spook and cause her to take off running, because she could injure herself further.  Although, at dinner time last night, she was spooking in her stall at every little thing, which she rarely does.  I figured she saw a snake or something that scared her earlier, and then worked herself up into a state of panic when she realized that by being locked in her stall, she's a sitting duck for predators.  That's part of why I wanted to let her out that night.  She needed to relax.  Sometimes stall rest isn't restful.

G scratches her neck while L sticks out her tongue, displaying her opinion of stall rest.
We've got a cool down heading into our area, which should help improve everyone's mood.  The horses' manes and tails are getting sticky, so I hope I can get enough of a break from the usual ridiculousness to bathe them.

This little bunny appears to be on stall rest too.  It has been sitting under this plant by our back porch all summer, and finally learned that there is no need to run from humans.

But if I come outside with the dogs, it does run, which gets the dogs barking and lunging in its direction.  They probably wouldn't see it if it just held still.

Now that the coyotes are gone, the bunnies and quail have returned to setting up camp under the hedge in front of our house.  When I go out the front door, I have to pause and listen for vehicles coming up the street, because as soon as I step off the front porch, bunnies and birds scatter in all directions and scurry across the street.  I don't want to be the cause of anyone getting hit by a car.

1 comment:

lytha said...

We had a guided, "backstage" tour of the zoo Friday and it was fascinating to be able to talk to the handlers and ask questions, such as how they train the elephants (they were having them lie down for *daily* bathing with a pressure washer and scrub brushes, and the elephants would hold up each foot to be washed separately!).

We got to watch the tigers get fed up close, and hear the odd noises they make. One of the tigers doesn't want to go outside, ever. The boys go into their outdoor area but she does not (they're separated). She lays there all day in the sterile room. Her name is Mimosa and she sure had an evil glare for us! Funnily, rabbits have taken over her outdoor area, and they have such a good, safe life! So regular visitors never get to see this beautiful tiger, but they do get to see rabbits.

I didn't take any photos so I shouldn't blog about it, but one of the highlights for me were a zebra and goat, best friends. There were two zebras, two goats, and a long horn cow. But one goat and one zebra were having the time of their lives, running circles around their enclosure, the zebra chasing the goat wherever it ran, and shaking its head "angrily" at him. Then the goat would go into his goat house and the zebra would wait outside for him, and then the racing would begin again.

J said, astutely, "And they say we shouldn't keep a donkey with a horse!" *lol*