Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Short Jaunt

We've got clouds moving in, so I braved the humidity and took Rock for a mile hike to check out the condition of the bridle trails.

I'll have to go out with my golf club, because some trails were littered with cholla sprinkles.  It was like walking through a mine field.  Hopefully, the incoming storm will just blow them all off the trails and make my life easier.

Rock was excited to be out and to hear the kids on the school playground, so he had no problem keeping up with my pace.  He did get nippy, though, so I had to elbow him a few times which resulted in him biting my elbow, which resulted in him being backed down the trail quickly.  He kept his distance after that.

However, on the way home he sped up.  Apparently, I had to work a lot harder to manage his speed, because according to my fitness watch, my heart rate shot up on the way home.  Now my shoulder hurts.  He's an elephant.

Rock fell into a critter hole that was right smack in the middle of one trail and he struggled to keep himself upright.  He made sure to point out to me the next critter hole we came upon.  Nothing like a little accident to make a horse pay attention to where he's putting his feet.

I'm still trying to get used to my new mobile phone camera.  I keep forgetting to train myself on how to use it when I am indoors and wearing reading glasses, so I just have to wing it when I'm outdoors and blind.  All I can see is the camera icon and the big red button.  Apparently, it is very easy to switch between still shot and video modes, because I got a lot of video I didn't want.  Basically, all I have to do is move my hand over the screen and it changes modes, so I won't be able to properly operate it without wearing reading glasses.  Bummer, because it's a lot lighter to carry my mobile phone than it is to carry my cameras.  Next time I'm in the market for a new phone, I'll have to pay closer attention to the camera operation procedures.  I don't think I will ever get used to the sensitivity of touch screens.  I prefer older technology that has separate buttons for modes.  I need stuff that is spastic-proof.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a great walking partner. I use my mobile phone camera all the time and it is difficult to see what you're taking through the glare. It's just so convenient. I have a much better camera that I used to use a lot and it got such better pictures, but it has largely been retired...if not lost.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Riding in different areas, the park rangers would often scatter cholla balls all over the trail and "reroute" you a different way. That was so the trails didn't get too worn down and rutted into the desert. You might be aware of this before you go clearing the cholla balls off your favorite trails. There could be fines if you're caught.

It would get annoying when the horses KNEW the way home was down THIS trail..... only THIS trail is no longer passable. Now you have to go thru here, over there, into the wash, around the bend and maaaayyyybbbeee you'll come out somewhere near 'your' gate. Just about the time the horses learned the new trails, they would come change them up again.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

CNJ - I'm pretty sure there are no park rangers where I ride. When the temps are lower, I spend hours out there every day and never see anyone. There's not enough trail usage there for it to be monitored and maintained. The power company leaves behind the majority of tracks. It's just the wind scattering cholla on trails, and occasionally a neighbor who doesn't want trails near his house. The cholla stick to the trails because they are low spots. I would think that if there were park rangers in my area, there would be less trash, and they'd be trying to catch the trash dumpers.