Monday, August 22, 2016

Brawl at the Barn

I let all four horses out of their stalls since I'd be home to supervise.  They were getting along so well.  I felt like a proud mama.

Unfortunately, Gabbrielle interpreted me walking out on the porch to take pictures as me coming out to feed them, so she immediately turned toward Rock to attack.

This picture is a typical example of the herd dynamic.  Gabbrielle is chasing Rock while Lostine is chasing Gabbrielle to get her to keep Rock away from her.  Bombay just tries to stay out of all the herd politics.  At least I can officially say that Lostine's hip is healed, because she was running all over the place.  Bombay's leg also is completely healed.

It wasn't long before the boys had a standoff, and then the fly mask ripping began...

I hollered at them to stop, and they took off chasing each other...

Soon the acrobatics began...



Bombay likes to rear while Rock likes to buck...


I'm glad he doesn't do this when I ride him.  I've been trying to catch one of Rock's bucks on camera for a long time.  It happens so fast.  He's super powerful, but it's hard to take him seriously when he always farts while hitting the apex of his buck.  I should try to get this on video with audio, because the sheer volume will astound even the most skeptical listeners.

Doing the bunny hop horsey style.

Ring around the rosie, a pocketful of posies, ashes ashes, we all bite bums.

Each time I hollered at them to settle down because they were getting too rough, Gabbrielle took it upon herself to charge out of the barn and attack Rock, so I had to just put down my camera and walk to the barn, which served to diffuse everything because Rock is always more interested in eating than rough housing.  Bombay could play all day, because eating is just a boring pastime to him.  He's like a little kid who won't come in for dinner.  It's hard to believe that he's 18 years old.

Here's a random photo of the full moon that I took the other night...

It's hard to see, but there's a tattered American flag to the left of the moon.  The monsoon season's high winds tend to destroy flags, and some neighbors take longer than others to replace them.

Last night I didn't get to finish cleaning up manure because I got hit with a haboob.  The air was perfectly still, and then I saw some trees and bushes off in the distance waving erratically.  Normally, the winds come up from the south, but yesterday they were circling and coming from the west.  All of the sudden it hit me that this wasn't just wind, but a wall of sand coming at me.  I got sand all over in my hair, my eyes, and between my teeth.

In other news, I made a rug for my daughter for her birthday...

She was too sick to come to her birthday celebration, so we took her presents to her.  She's a teacher, and she has barely started a new school year, and it is looking like she's already got an ulcer from the stress.  She's looking into a career change because teaching wrecks a person's body, and she's one of the healthiest person's I know.

My mother was a teacher, I was a teacher, and my daughter is a teacher.  For a long time I have felt that there is excessive governance in education.  Teachers have to fulfill requirements put forth upon them by their own principal, by their school district, by the state, and by the federal government.  There aren't enough school days in the year to complete all those goals, so both teachers and students are set up for failure.

Add in that more and more students are entering school with special needs, like the inability to do basic things like sit still in a chair or write their own name, and all those competencies become impossible.  Then you've all the know-it-alls who say that we need better teachers, because the teachers are the ones failing our students.  I think we will be lucky to have any teachers at all if we as a society continue to treat teachers like they as a group are the problem, and continue to pay them a lot less than what their services are worth.  I think nowadays a person would have to be a saint to take on a teaching role.

That's my reality check for the day.

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

There's never a dull moment with that crew. My two in the field look like an elderly couple sitting in rocking chairs.

Kathryn Little said...

Aww they look like they're having SO MUCH FUN playing together :) also that rug is fabulous.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

I love the series of photos.

I am glad someone else has a buck farter. I always say they are propelled by natural gas.

Linda said...

Dear Lord! You got some great action shots. I think I prefer Rock's bucking to rearing. In fact, I know I do. Give me a bucking horse any day. I released Leah with the herd after a 3 week diet hiatus, and this morning she was bleeding in several spots from attacks. Now, I'm at work and I don't know what's happening, but I figured better them discipline her than me.

I was also a teacher and, for the most part, I agree with you. On the other hand, I have had experience with tenured teachers that didn't do squat and were fully protected. My kids had one in particular, for US History. Suffice to say, they learned nothing that entire year. Nothing.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Add in the fact that Arizona has long been ranked in the Bottom 5 as worst schools in the nation, the least funding for education and there you have it folks. One of the main reasons I wanted to move.

Radio show host Bill Austin said it best once- "Why would companies, or anyone for that matter, Want to move here when we've made it clear that we as a state, don't care about education for your kids?"
RIP Bill

Cheryl Ann said...

I have to agree with you about teaching these days. I remember when we had TIME for art, science, and social studies. Now science & social studies are "embedded". There is no formal textbook or course of study. WTF? I'm GLAD I retired. All it is now is teach to the damn test.