Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nutty Crazy

Yesterday I had let all of the horses out together with the exception of Gabbrielle.  I was feeling fatigued, so I made myself a cup of instant coffee in the afternoon, but before I could have a sip, I looked outside to see the geldings shredding another fly mask.  I ran outside and rescued it before it needed another go-round with the sewing machine.  I noticed that Gabbrielle's stall was wet with urine, so I let her out, figuring I'd keep a close eye on her from the house.  When I got back inside, I was greeted by three dogs dancing at the door with bursting bladders.  I took care of that and by the time I returned to my cup of coffee, I had to re-heat it.

I got two sips before all hell broke loose.  I started getting this stabbing pain in my left kidney.  It's been years since I've had kidney stones, but this felt like something was working its way loose.  I looked outside to see Gabbrielle attacking the geldings, kicking them repeatedly.  I tried to run down to the barn, but buckled under the pain and dropped to my knees.  I got back up and staggered up to the horses, demanding that everyone get in his and her stall right now.  They all obeyed and I started locking them away.

I got as far as locking everyone in except for Rock when the sky opened up and rain poured down on the aluminum roof.  I didn't want to get soaked, so I stayed in the barn aisle while the horses stood tense in their stalls.  There was basically one dark cloud over my property and the surrounding sky was blue.  I figured that with the high winds that accompanied the downpour, the cloud would move on in a matter of seconds. However, the rain turned to hail and the noise from it hitting the roof was deafening.  I plugged my ears, but there was nowhere I could stand without getting wet, because the wind was blowing the rain and hail in sideways.

I couldn't stand any longer because of the kidney pain, so I laid down in the barn aisle next to Gabbrielle's stall, hoping that Rock wouldn't come out of his stall and paw at me.  Gabbrielle poked me through the railings.  I kind of knew what it felt like to be a tiny foal by her mare.  I noticed that my neighbor's flag was about to rip off the flagpole.  Then I noticed that their multiple flat roofs had pipes sticking out of the sides of the house to drain water, and they were creating waterfalls all the way around the house.  It was rather fascinating.

Then, just as quickly as everything started up, the wind stopped and the flag hung still, but it was still raining hard.  I was getting anxious, because I was literally trapped under this black cloud.  Eventually, the rain stopped and the wind picked up again, so I knew we were on the edge of the storm.  I got up and went back to the house to my cold cup of coffee and the kidney pain stopped just a quick as it started, mimicking the behavior of the storm.  My town made the news because that cloud had dropped our temperatures into the 80's while all the cities around us were above 100 degrees, which is freaky.

Then late that night I got a phone message from my ex-neighbor telling me that her husband should arrive next door any minute now, and to not call the police if I saw lights on in the house.  This must have been a last minute trip, because she didn't mention it last week when she called.

I got up at the crack of dawn to feed and clean up after the horses.  The storm made it humid, so I didn't want to have to do barn chores after the sun came out.  As I was wrapping up, I turned around to see my neighbor waving from the fence.  He said he was having a gardener come by to help him drag the weeds.  I was expecting someone in a truck or ATV to pull a drag harrow, however a few minutes later when I was in the house, I heard what sounded like a low flying helicopter.  As it got closer, all the dishes in my cupboards began clinking as the house shook.  Then this huge backhoe drove past my house into my neighbor's yard.

The horses freaked.  I was glad that I happened to leave Gabbrielle's stall open, because she will try to jump out and thrash herself on the metal railings.  The tractor is dragging the weeds with its bucket.  They're basically leveling the ground and tearing up everything that's growing out there.  I'm just glad that I didn't have plans to ride today, because then I'd really be pissed with these neighbors and the timing of their home improvement projects.  I'm actually surprised that they didn't wait until late September or October to do this, because that's when we have the potential to really cool down.  But I suspect they were watching the forecast and did see the recent cool down, and that's why he came out to do work on the place.  We did jump up into the 100's these past couple of days, and today should be the last day above 100 before we consistently drop down into the 90's.  Not too bad for August.

It's looking like I may have to turn off my phone until I need to make outgoing calls, because people keep calling me super early in the morning and late at night.  I block their calls, and then another number I don't know calls me at some inappropriate hour.  I suspect it has something to do with the election.  If it's somebody who is disrespecting my request that they email or message me about my horse for sale and looking up my phone number to call instead, they can call at an appropriate hour and leave a message.  I just can't stand when these people call and call and call, but won't leave a message.  That's usually a sign that they know I won't call them back and they are trying to rope me into something I don't want to do like a survey or a scam or buying something or donating something.

Anyway, these surprise disruptions just serve as reminders to me to use my time wisely, because there will always be something going on either with neighbors or the weather or my health that will prevent me from being able to ride most days.  I've got to make hay while the sun is not killing me.

4 comments:

ellie k said...

With the heavy rains won't the neighbors yard just wash away after the drag all the top off it?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ellie - Yes, that and all the weeds will come right back since monsoon season hasn't ended yet.

Mrs Shoes said...

I'd say a bckhoe seems like ridiculous overkill, but maybe they have monster weeds like that agave that was growing into the powerlines...?

Mrs Shoes said...

p.s. I hear you about drinking cold coffee... yuck. I switched to tea years ago because it's almost always cold by the time I reach for the cup. I've never had a kidney stone but I understand the pain can be excruciating. I sure hope it doesn't come back. I was kind of worried when I read the part about you laying down in the barn aisle. :-(