Saturday, October 22, 2016

Water Crisis

Lousy luck has befallen me again.  Pretty much with each day, my goal is always to get just a couple of items crossed off my To Do List, stick to a routine, and avoid emergency situations that thwart my schedule.  A combination of exceeding the number of pets I can manage, having several of those pets grow old simultaneously while I grow old, living in the desert, and living in this house in particular have all led to my life being totally out of control.  I spend more time tackling unexpected problems than I do sleeping, eating, and addressing my To Do List.

I don't know what it is, but I have this magical thinking in which I believe the future is always brighter, and that once I get through this latest round of hassles, I'll be able to plan out my days and have everything go swimmingly.  Who am I foolin'?

The other night I was finally getting a decent night's sleep when my husband woke me up to tell me he needed my help.  He was standing in the hallway holding Midge in his arms.  He said that she was bleeding all over the house.  I trimmed her fur around the spot where the blood was coming from and put an extra large bandage over it, and then my husband wrapped gauze around her waist to hold it in place while I wiped blood off the tiles floors and scrubbed it out of carpets.  My guess is that she scratched herself in her sleep and nearly took off a teat.  What are the chances that something bizarre like that would happen on the first good night's sleep I was about to get in weeks?

Once the sun came up, I removed the bandages to make sure the bleeding stopped, and I cleaned the wound.  Fortunately, I did not have to take her to the vet.  However, Scrappy had taken a turn for the worse and could barely walk, so I had to keep carrying him outside to do his business.  I had never seen him that weak before, however by the next day he was back to his old self.  I wasn't off the hook yet, though, because now Midge was limping around, and I had to start carrying her outside.  It appeared that she injured or had an arthritic flare up in one of her toes.

My husband usually takes the dogs outside around midnight and 3:00 AM because he's good at falling right back asleep.  If I am woken prematurely, I'm done for the night.  That's all the rest I get, because I'm up for good.  My husband's rheumatoid arthritis in his spine has been getting worse, so it's hard for him to get out bed.  He's been keeping a cane beside him.  However, now he moans in pain when he tries to get up, and wakes me up anyway, so I'm the one taking the dogs out at night.  This means I have to get my sleep by taking cat naps throughout the day.

I've had horseback riding on the brain, but between the heat, the dogs, the extra chores on my plate, and my neighbor having a painting crew buzzing around his house all weekend, it never happened.

On Friday just after 5:00 PM, our well broke again.  I was like, "Come on!  Give me a break!  There are 168 hours in a week and 48 of them are bad.  120 are good.  What are the chances that our well only keeps breaking down over the weekends and on holidays when we can't get anyone out to fix it?"

You don't realize just how often and how many activities you use water for until you don't have any.  I wash my hands before and after every time I touch food.  I need water to prepare food.  I need water to drink and to wash down that food.  I need water to brush my teeth and floss throughout the day.  I need water in the toilet in order to flush it.  I need water to take a shower.  My dogs and horses need water to drink.  I need water to clean wounds.  I need water to scrub dog pee stains out of the carpet.  I need water to clean up spills.  I'm using water just about every few minutes throughout the day.

Of course, I'm trying to be positive by thinking things like, "At least we had water when Midge bled all over the house," and "At least I just filled two of the horse's water troughs, did the laundry, and watered the trees before this happened."

Somehow that doesn't help to improve my mood.  We still have dirty dishes piled to the ceiling because I was waiting for the dirty dishes from one more meal to fill up the dishwasher.  Now I can't even rinse those stinky dishes to load them into the dishwasher.

Of course, we have store bought water, but that's only enough to fill the dog's water bowls, to wash our hands, and to brush our teeth.  We're obviously not going to be able to shower for a while.  I was thinking about asking my neighbor if we could use his bathroom over the weekend, but that would be a logistical nightmare, and he's a hermit.  I like to give him his space.

Then I think about the vacant house on the other side of us.  If only I knew where she hid the key, we could shower and use her toilets to our heart's content, and not inconvenience anyone.  I would clean everything up and restore it to it's original condition once we got the use of our own bathrooms back.  The proper thing to do would be to call her and ask for permission to rent her bathroom for the weekend, but I worked so hard to extricate her from my life.  I kind of burned that bridge.

Calling her would be like opening a can of worms.  She'd want to talk my ear off for an hour, repeating the stories she told me just two minutes before.  I always become very aware of my life clock when I get stuck having to listen to people with OCD talk.  I wonder how many hours I have left to live, and I can feel the clock ticking while I mourn the loss of my precious time.  I don't mind listening to my neighbor talk as long as she has something new to say, but she's the type of person who you can say, "You've told me this before," and she just keeps telling you again, and again, and again.  It's like she's searching for a specific reaction, and when she doesn't get it, she repeats the story.  She's also the type of person who you can say, "I have to go now..." and she just ignores you and talks right over you.  I've never been good at handling those types of people, so I just avoid them.  You can imagine my struggle over having to approach her to ask for a favor.  I'm tempted to just dig around until I find where she hid the key, but I think she also set up a surveillance camera.  Oh well, at least they have water in prison, right?

4 comments:

TeresaA said...

I hate getting woken up in the night!

And I'm always amazed at how things break down when you have to pay after-hours rates!

Things will pick up soon.

Linda said...

WE've lost water so many times. Luckily, we can run hoses from our neighbor's house into our downstairs window until it gets going again. We just have a poorly constructed well, I guess. It's awful. You need water for EVERYTHING!! That's why we passed on the cabin this summer. We can't take on another water issue. Hoping for the best for you!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The well magically fixed itself, but now I'm back to mopping and scrubbing blood up off the floor, and the storm I've been looking forward to is going to miss us and we're getting yet another week of temperatures in the mid-90s. This October sucks.

Stephanie - Siouxzeegirl Designs said...

Oh my!!! What a run of bad luck :-(
I do love your description of OCD talk! I have some acquaintances like that and I try very hard to avoid them at all costs... your life just ticks away while they prattle on and on and on.
I hope the well gets fixed quickly and everyone, 4 leggers included, stays relatively healthy.