Thursday, December 22, 2016

Rainy Day Ramblings

The dogs and I got a slight reprieve from their issues yesterday, and I thought we were going to make it all the way through the day without me having to clean the floors.  I found some old washable diapers from back when we were planning on breeding our Corgi, before we knew about her horrible health and genes.  Fortunately, she developed a disease of her uterus right away and had to get a hysterectomy, so we didn't bring sick puppies into the world.  We found out later from her breeder that she had to quit breeding Midge's bloodline, because too many of the dogs were developing diseases and dying young.  It was so weird, because we did a full health check panel, x-rays and whatnot to make sure that Midge was in good health before making the decision to breed her, but none of that could indicate that she would have so many problems later in life.

Anyway, I've been using those old washable diapers on both her and Scrappy as a test run before ordering anything.  I'm using one like a belly band for Scrappy, but when I returned from doing barn chores last night, he got so excited that he couldn't contain himself, nor could the belly band contain him either.  So, I had a long trail of pee dribble all over the freshly steam-vacced carpet.  The house smelled so bad when my husband got home from work that he opened a window even though it was 50 degrees out.  When I got too cold, I shut the window and turned on a ceiling fan.  It was either that or keeping my headache that I developed between the urine fumes and all the chemical smells from cleaning the carpet repeatedly.  This means I will have to remember to either lock the dogs up in the outdoor kennel or in the bathroom whenever I leave the house, even for a few minutes.  I'm also going to have to order real belly bands.

Then this morning I found that neither dog was wearing its diaper, and there were urine stains all over the carpet again.  I steam-vacced the carpet before the sun came up.  I'm trying to give this time to clear up since taking the dogs to the vet just seems to make things worse, but I'm also aware that I may have to make some dreaded quality of life decisions soon.  Even if this is a matter of Scrappy having another bladder stone, he can't survive surgery at his age.

I did manage to get some gifts wrapped yesterday.  However, since trying to decorate for the holidays was so difficult, I'm keeping it down to one little LED tree.  I went into the garage to get the tree, and the dogs needed to go out.  I tried again to get the tree, and again the dogs needed to go out.  I finally got the tree, started setting it up, and the dogs needed to go out.  Then I began shaping the branches on the tree, but before I could finish, the dogs needed to go out.  Then I tried looking for a place to plug in the tree, but before I could find one, the dogs needed to go out.  So, I gave up.  No Christmas lights, no garlands, no stockings, no figurines, no candles this year.  We'll live without them.

I turned off my phone, because everyone who calls wants something from me and I have nothing to give.  Right now my dogs are getting my undivided attention.

So far, the trespassing neighbor hasn't returned, but it's also been raining.  I went down to the arroyo several times yesterday to check on the trails and sign, and to make my presence known.  I wanted them to see me spending time down there, so that they'd realize that we do use that part of our land and it's not open to the public.

When I came back from the arroyo, I played a game with the horses.  I'd crouch down low in the weeds by the arena fence, and the horses would tip-toe toward me to see what I was up to.  Then I'd say, "Ready?  Set.  Go!" and I'd take off running.  There'd be this explosion of hooves, and the horses would fly off in all directions running and bucking.  It was hilarious.  They knew I was playing with them, because they kept coming back for more.

I feel bad because every time that I get into a routine of working with the horses to keep them fit and keep their minds busy, something happens to bring it to a screeching halt.  Now it's the dogs and the weather.  Before I know it, summer will be here and life as I know it will be over.  Then the kicking, injuries, and vet visits will begin.  I wish I could do more with the horses than just playing "lion in the grass".

Some real horse people looked at buying the house next door yesterday.  I could tell by the way they dressed that horses were their life.  They were the first home shoppers in two years of that ranch being on the market to actually go down to the back paddock and walk it off.  Most people who have looked at the place were retired couples who just toured the house, but never bothered to venture out onto the land.  This couple was more interested in the barn and dry lots than the house, so I think there's a good chance they might buy it.  People come to my area from all over the world just to ride their horses, because the community has been so good about leaving open land for horseback riders.  The ranch next door is one of the few properties available with five full acres.  Most horse owners only have one acre.  So, if the house sells to non-horse people, it will be a shame.  Of course, I wish the house could remain empty for the rest of my time here, but that's not going to happen.

A picture from better days when the sun was out and we could sit on the porch...

My one healthy dog.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like a great house. You live in a beautiful place to ride. I wish we could live half down there and half up here. Sorry to hear your dog's are still struggling. You're a good mama. It's not easy, though.

Mrs Shoes said...

Gosh Nuz, I feel for you, it's hard to love our pets so much that we go over & above to have some more time with them. It just shows your dedication that you've keep on; Midge & Scrappy are lucky pups.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Dealing with the dos problems sounds exhausting. I hope you get a break soon.

Mrs Shoes said...

Merry Christmas to the Nuzzling Muzzles Family from the 4Shoes!

If you get a chance to stop by Life at the 4Shoes during the holidays http://lifeatthe4shoes.blogspot.ca/2016/12/kristmas-wish-for-kaydance.html ) I really hope that you will consider sharing the video (Facebook, etc) that I've posted about Kaydance, who was abducted in May of this year. You never know which plea will be the one that helps this tortured family reunite.