Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Checklist Checked

I can't believe how much I got done today...

Garbage and recycling taken out?  Check!

Dishes washed?  Check!

Clean up dog poop?  Check!

Clean up horse manure?  Check!

Hooves trimmed?  Check!

Thrush treatment applied?  Check!

Dog nails trimmed?  Check!

Horse ridden?  Check!

I've been creating a mound of sand next to a ditch in the arena so that my mounting stool can have an extra boost...

Bombay helped me test it out.  It's kind of tricky, because I have to position the horse as close to the mound as possible, and I have to carefully put all of my weight on the first step to let the stool settle in the sand before climbing to the top.

The ride went well, save two spooks. When I told that neighbor who trespasses in the arroyo below my riding arena and round pen that he spooks my horses, he said he had never noticed any problem.  Here's the thing:  I can ride the horses in the arena in summer and fall, and they perform just as well down by the arroyo as they do up by the barn, because the man and his relatives are not around trespassing on my property multiple times a day.  However, when those neighbors are occupying that house during the winter and spring, my horses get very tense when I ride them near the arroyo.  They overreact to small stimuli and morph into nervous Nellies.

So, I tried to help Bombay by keeping him moving by the barn, and letting him rest by the arroyo.  He'd go on alert and study the bushes each time we neared that location.  At one point we were heading away from the arroyo, and he was keeping one ear cocked back when a raven flew behind him.  He thought something was coming up out of the arroyo to attack him, so he tucked his tail between his legs and leaped forward in one big unexpected jolt.  My whole back radiated pain for several minutes after that.

The other spook happened when we were moving away from the barn and Lostine kicked out at Gabbrielle.  The noise of her hooves connecting with Gabbrielle was startling and Bombay jolted forward again. He's not very good about handling sudden movements and loud noises that come up from behind him.  Needless to say, I've decided to not pursue jumping with Rock, because my spine is just too degraded to withstand that kind of impact without causing me pain.

Otherwise, Bombay was a good boy about keeping himself beautifully collected.  He's a Western horse at heart despite all the experts who insisted that he would have to compete in English and Hunter classes because he's too energetic and upright.  Now that he's older, he practically drags his nose in the sand even though I have him on a loose rein.

With all this rain, we have grass...

I took each of the horses out to graze...

Just like old times when I actually owned five lawns and a pasture.  The horses were in hog heaven.  Since Rock is from central Arizona, I suspect he's never grazed on grass before...

He didn't have any trouble figuring out what to do, though.  Even the bunnies were getting in on the action...

This one still tried to sneak under the haystack despite all the grass right under its nose...

I think it escaped the jaws of a coyote, because it has a wound on the back of its head.

I wondered what was up with this one's nose, but then I realized that the pink thing is its tongue.

One bonus accomplishment from today was that a rabbit sneaked into my tack room and cleaned all the spilled pellets off the floor.  It beats having to sweep.  I think I'll leave the door open more often.

The only task I didn't get done was cleaning saddle pads.  Does anyone have any good techniques for getting packed-on sweat and hair off wool?

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

I love those days!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Always good to get things on the list checked off. A great feeling of accomplishment !

Mrs. Huckleberry said...

Pressure washer will get the hair off your pads

Crystal said...

Is that Lostine in the first grazing pic? she looks good!
I use the pressure washer at th car wash on my saddle pads, no soap just hot water works well.

Camryn said...

I was going to suggest a pressure washer as well. I used one on my 5star. Just let it dry in the sun, works great.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

looks like you have been busy!