Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Glorious Day

Our string of storms finally went on their way to some other destination, and we've had beautiful sunshine with cool breezes for a few days.  This was my first chance to get out and ride.  Rock always finishes his breakfast before everyone else, even though I feed him more than the other horses, so I rode him while the others were still eating.

I couldn't mount him where I normally do because the area was overgrown with grass and he couldn't resist.  I parked him where there was no grass, but in order to have him lower than the mounting stool, I had to point him up the driveway, which meant having to spank him each time he walked off before I could mount.  He still tried to take a snatch at a bush on the way out...

This picture reminds me...  My neighbor in that house was kind enough to forewarn me that his door-slamming relatives will be coming to camp in his back yard soon.  Thankfully, they are only staying five days this year.  The cigar smoke and hyperactivity of back and forth, back and forth, back and forth between house and camper slamming doors all along the way drives me batty and makes it difficult to get the horses and dogs to focus.  When these particular visitors are here, I usually give up on trying to get my dogs to do their business in the side yard, and I let them poop and piddle out front on the rocks, because that's the only side of the house where they can't see the campers.

Allowing Rock to graze on the grass along the trails last week seemed to do the trick in getting him to stop lollygagging on the way out.  He had quite the pep in his step... right up until he discovered that I wouldn't let him graze with a bit in his mouth.  He was so cute.  He marched right up to the patch of grass where I let him graze last week and lowered his head like he was on a mission.  Not when I'm riding, Rock.

We saw a dog-sized creature cross the trail ahead of us, and I figured it was just a coyote.  But then I began worrying -- what if it was one of those Pit Bulls?  Just to be safe, I turned around and headed in the opposite direction.

Every once in a while my hips or knees or spine would cramp up, and I'd shift to unstick the joints.  Rock was so good that he automatically stopped when I was shifting my weight.  Either he thought I was going to dismount, or he was worried I might fall off.  Awesome horse.  That's all I've got to say.

When we got home, the oldies but goodies were still eating their breakfasts...

My nosy, creepy, trespassing neighbor came running out of his house to watch us, and Rock caught him spying on us...

Awesome hoss.

3 comments:

Camryn said...

Thanks for the ride lol. Stalking neighbor sounds like a pain, he's either lonely or creepy. If we ever move again I told Hubs I'd love to be neighbor free.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a great ride. Love that horse, everyone needs a Rock! As for the neighbors just ignore them and don't let them get under your skin if you can.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Rock sounds like a great horse! so nice you can enjoy a safe ride