Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Goobers

Nutrena has this special deal going on right now that ends March 24th in which I can buy 4 bags of Safe Choice Senior and get the 5th bag free.  It also has an ongoing deal in which I can receive a free 50-lb. bag for every 10 UPC labels I cut out from my used bags.  I had a bunch of bags delivered to me last November when I was recovering from my surgery and could not lift anything.  The nice man stacked them all neatly in my tack room and they've lasted until this month.  I decided to set up another delivery to avoid throwing out my back, and with all these special deals, I ordered plenty.  All in all, I ended up with 5 free bags, which is about a $100 discount.

While making space for the delivery, I finished off an 80-lb. bag of Lakin Lite hay pellets and tossed it to the horses to play with.  Rock was hilarious, shaking the bag all around like a dog with a squeaky toy, and throwing it in the air, spooking Gabbrielle.  I ran in to get my camera...

There was one pellet way in the bottom and Rock was willing to get his face stuck in the bag to get it...

Bombay wanted to join in on the fun...


Rock was massaging me the whole time I was trying to take pictures of Bombay and Gabbrielle.  He kept pushing me and making me miss my shots, so I stuck out my hand and let him lick it...

Mmmmm.  Salty.

The Three Amigos...



Bombay got the fitz and started shaking it around the way Rock did in the beginning...

I think the only reason why Gabbrielle was brave enough to stick around was because she smelled food.

Lostine just stands in the same corner all day and stares off into space.  I told her to tell me when she's ready to go.  I don't want the poor mare to feel like she's in Purgatory just because she's old and arthritic.  I try to mix up her days by grooming, lunging and walking her.  If it weren't for me, she'd do nothing.  Although, she did kick her water trough repeatedly to let me know that it was getting low and needed filling, so her mind still works.

I went to a city park I'd never been to before to hide some painted rocks, and it was weird.  There were just random people sitting in their cars staring a people like me who were out walking or playing.  I was frustrated, because it was hard to hide stuff with all those eyes on me.  I figured that as soon as I left, those people would get out of their cars and walk over to where I was to see what I put there, which kind of ruins the fun of hiding the rocks to surprise someone.

One lady walking her Corgi stopped to stare at me when I went off trail to look for a hiding spot.  I figured she was expecting me to do something illegal, and was going to call the police.  I found a trail that went out into the desert, and I wanted to take it so that I could have more privacy, but there was a man sitting in his truck behind some bushes and it creeped me out.  I did purchase a can of mace back when the Pit Bull kept showing up at my place, growling at me and charging me, so I had that with me, but why take chances?

I think next time I hide painted rocks, I'll take someone with me so that we can pretend like we are stopping to chat while I stealthily hide them.  People tend to be less suspicious of two or more people together than one by herself.  I discovered that some saguaro cacti have nice little shelves where you can set things in the part of the cactus that doesn't have spikes.  I looked for other people's rocks while hiding mine, but I think a Girl Scout group cleaned out the last of them.  When I got back to my truck, there were two men sitting in another truck near mine having an argument with the window rolled down.  All I heard was expletive after expletive.  Fortunately, there were other people around to call the police if it got too far out of hand.

I saw online that one lady had searched the entire park the day before and found nothing.  She claimed to be broken-hearted over it.  That seemed a little extreme for just not finding a rock, but to each her own.  Then some guy chirped up and bragged about finding a ton of rocks the day before that in the same location.  Obviously, he hoarded them all for himself and didn't bother to re-hide for someone else.  I suspect my involvement in this will short-lived, because people who are super competitive and unable to consider the feelings and needs of others get on my nerves.  Finding painted rocks isn't supposed to be a competition.  It's supposed to be fun and it's supposed to encourage people to get out of their houses and cars and enjoy the great outdoors.  Finding one rock is as good as a feast.

After reading those comments online, I wondered if half the people sitting in cars staring at me were people waiting for someone to hide rocks, and were watching the Facebook page on their mobile phones so that they could race out to look for them sooner than anyone else.  They're probably the same type of people who camp out at the doors of a store for two days and two nights just to get a Black Friday special.  If there's one thing I know about the residents in my community, it's that they have a lot of time on their hands.  Sadly, it's actually more likely that those people sitting in cars were doing drugs.

I think I'll paint my next rock to say, "Congrats!  You found me.  Now hide me for someone else."

1 comment:

Camryn said...

Awesome pix, i so enjoy watching horses having fun. As far as the rocks go, I'd find and replace for sure.