Monday, March 13, 2017

Keep De Face Outta Da Bushes

It's been another busy week in the neighborhood with another slew of home shoppers invading the property next door.  The same people keep coming back, but according to my neighbor, none of them are in negotiations.  Sometimes I wonder if people are just looking for an empty house they can hang out in for a few hours and keep cool by borrowing some else's air conditioning.  It was 91 degrees F while I was out riding.  A whole week in the 90s in mid-March is premature.  I'm hoping this isn't a sign that we are in for another summer from hell.  If this hotter and longer summer trend keeps up, I'm going to have to become a snowbird for survival's sake.

This persistent traffic next door is actually making me wish someone would just buy the place so that the dogs and horses and I can get used to one family's routine rather than having to work through the activities of a lot of strangers coming and going.  It was nice having the place quiet and still for nearly three years, but ever since the price dropped below the home value, my sleepy neighborhood has been jumping.  There have actually been loud trucks doing drive by viewings late at night.  I don't know what people expect to see in the dark.

The good news about the heat is that it tends to weed out those nosy people who just like to drive around looking at homes for sale so they can dream about them, but not actually buy them.  I'll admit that when our kids were little, we spent our weekends going to open houses for homes we could never afford.  It was a way to keep the kids busy and for us to learn about different neighborhoods and home designs so that when we were ready to buy, we'd have done our research.  The difference between us and some of these other people, though, is that we went to open houses, while these other people just keep doing surveillance on our neighborhood by cruising past multiple times a day, which makes people nervous.  What did they miss the first five times that they have to come back again?  I don't get it.

Despite all the Looky Loos, Rock and I got out for a nice trail ride.  It was hot enough by the time we left that we had the trails to ourselves.  The biggest challenge we had was to keep de face outta da bushes...

Nom nom nom...

Gots to eat.

Only ate twenty minutes ago, and dat meal only lasted four hours.  Hungry.

Look at all dat green grass.  Me graze now.  Get off my back, human!

Snarf.
Sadly, our new tree is in shock and has lost almost all of its leaves.  I suspect the soil in that location is not good, because we've been feeding and watering it properly.  It came with a 90-day guarantee, and I bought an extended warranty in which they will replace this tree with two of the same size trees if anything happens to this one, so we're covered.  It's not dead yet, but it's nice to know that we didn't throw a couple thousand dollars out the window buy purchasing it.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Ha he sounds like Jessie, always looking for food.

Linda said...

Funny. I remember riding through the desert in AZ on the rented horses, and they were eating all along the trail just like that. Or, trying to. My husband's horse was getting away with it pretty good. "Me graze now. Get off my back, human." That is probably what they all think! LOL.

TeresaA said...

Poor starving pony!

I have a friend moving to Reno, Nevada and I wondered if you knew of any boarding places?

Mrs Shoes said...

My horses are surrounded by green pastures from Spring through the fall, hunger could not POSSIBLY be their excuse, yet they still will sample greenery out on the trail if they are allowed.
That sucks about your tree; do you think you can save it yet?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Teresa - I don't. I worked in Reno for a short time, but it's more of a city, less rural areas. My experience with Northern Nevada is that there aren't a whole lot of resources for horse owners. Now, if she bought and sold classic cars or raced motocross, she'd have a lot of company. I'd say look in the outlying areas. I've seen some horse ranches in Washoe Valley, the foothills of Mount Rose, the foothills of Virginia City, and Palomino Valley. I don't know if any of them board, but that's where the horses are. Check for ads on feed store bulletin boards, and maybe call vet's offices for referrals.

Mrs. Shoes - My horses are not allowed to eat without my permission, and they do suffer consequences when they don't listen. Some are just more stubborn than others in learning their lesson. My other Tipu tree went into shock when we planted it, but it came back a few weeks later. It's just a waiting game. Unfortunately, I needed that shade before we reach the 90's and we're already there.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - I was thinking that it's probably because the hay in AZ is so low in nutrition. The horses' bodies are still craving something they need.