Tuesday, July 25, 2017

In the News

That Phoenix suburb that experienced flooding mentioned in national news is where I live.  The video of the flooding was about a mile or two upstream from our backyard.  It had rained a lot during the previous night and in the morning.  It's unusual for monsoon rains to arrive in the morning, but this storm seemed cooler.  When there was a break in the rain, I went down to the arroyo to take pictures.  The water was lower than it was the day before.

The rescued chair from the previous flash flood is now sitting up higher on the bank.

A short time after I took these pictures I went outside and heard a roar.  I thought it was raining, but when I came out from under the overhang, I did not get hit by rain.  I realized that I was hearing the roar of a flood.  It sounded like it was running through my neighbor's lower pasture, but my leg was in too much pain to allow me to hike down there and slog through the mud to find out.

A short time after that, my husband called and said that the flooding was in the news.  He wanted to know what was happening at our house.  I went outside again, but now the roar was gone and it was relatively quiet.  The flash flood had passed.

But I smelled smoke.  I looked around, but didn't see smoke.  I doubted anyone was barbecuing, so I suspected that the flood or lightning caused a fire somewhere.  While I was limping around trying to sniff out the source of the smoke, some home shopper drove up the street to look at my neighbor's house.  It was raining and I was hoping they wouldn't stop me to ask questions.  I wasn't in the mood to sell their house while the neighborhood was being flooded and possibly on fire.  I managed to get back inside before they approached me.  Who shops for homes in a monsoon?  I'm surprised they were able to traverse the neighborhood, because most roads are blocked when it floods.

Then this morning I took the dogs outside and smelled smoke again.  I turned on the news only to find out that our best local restaurant is engulfed in flames.  This was the only place my upscale neighbors were willing to eat at in town.  Otherwise, they made us drive all the way to Scottsdale for dinner when we dined together to the tune of $100 a plate, and all we usually got was one pea.  That drive up and down the 101 didn't do much to improve my anxiety issues, so I stopped going out to dinner with them unless they were willing to eat locally.  This restaurant that is now on fire was the only place we could agree upon.

I haven't been able to clean up manure in two days, because there is a muddy pond in the middle of the barn and everything is mush.  I can't tell the difference between the manure and the mud, so I wouldn't know what to clean up.  I'm praying the horses won't get thrush and hoof abscesses, but it seems inevitable under the circumstances.  I'm loving the rain, but we need to dry out every once in a while too.

I've been tossing just hay to the horses most feeding times, because it's always pouring rain.  As a result, the wild rabbits haven't been getting any grain droppings.  So, last night, after I fed the horses some grain during a dry spell, a wild rabbit cautiously tip-toed up to me and tried to climb into the tack room while I was in there because it was so hungry.  It looked on the skinny side, so I scooped a bit of grain up and set it on the ground for the rabbit to feast on.  It was very appreciative.


Sherry Sikstrom said...

wow! Mother Nature sure threw the book at you guys there!

Linda said...

I thought about you when I saw this on the news,but I didn't know how close you were! Glad you are safe!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Driving to the gym yesterday was crazy. Streets that were paved were now dirt roads, and there were bulldozers trying to scrape them clean. I had to be careful not to brake hard, because it was like driving on ice. Every street I turned down was either covered in mud or dried dirt. Some streets were blocked off by road crews, and the police were racing around all over town with their lights on. Since the police were so busy with flooding issues and whatnot, I took advantage of the distraction by hiding painted rocks. Ha ha!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow that's scary. Hope this all clears up soon.

Cut-N-Jump said...

We get rain like that here in Houston a Lot. I'm loving it. Hope t wasn't the restaurant I'm thinking it was. The one we ate at with Joan?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

CNJ - No, it was The Mining Camp.

Cut-N-Jump said...

I seen that. Looked it up online. Been there many times and sad to see it go.