Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Bad Kitty

The bobcat kid sure has made itself at home on my ranch.  Yesterday Stewie was sitting on my lap when he jumped up and growled at something outside the window.  The bobcat was walking on top of our stone wall.  I grabbed my camera thinking it would make a great shot, but the cat jumped down before I could get back to the window with the camera.

I watched while it approached the barn...

It's hard to tell from this photo, but it was meowing here.  It then couched down low and wagged its stubby tail back and forth quickly.  I assumed that it was preying on the flock of doves that had been hanging out in the barn lately.  I went outside, and it sauntered off to its usual hiding place under my horse trailer.



As I approached the trailer, it crawled out the back and walked slowly to the arroyo.  It didn't look at me once, but I knew it was tracking me with its ears.

Into Never Never Land where it knows I won't follow...

As I was walking back to the house, I realized that the horses were huddled against the gate asking to be let loose.  They were quivering and snorting out of fear.  I wondered if the bobcat, being young, inexperienced, and innocent, had been stalking my horses, and not doves like I originally assumed.  Or perhaps the horses had witnessed the bobcat attacking one of their bunny or birdie friends, and knew it has big claws and sharp teeth. 

I'm pretty sure that my horses would win in a fight with a bobcat, but they could still get scratched up and bit, so I think it is time I encourage kitty to find new stalking grounds.

2 comments:

TeresaA said...

Wow. How do you encourage it to move on?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Teresa - I don't know yet. I'll approach it like a horse with the least amount of pressure first, see how it responds, and take it from there.